Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

"Pilot": 01-02-09

INT. APARTMENT - EVENING

Devereux, Hope, Elizabeth, and Janusae are inside the apartment. What few items they have are packed into their bags. The room looks as though they had never lived there.

Devereux is staring out the window. Hope stands a few paces behind her. Elizabeth and Janusae are farther away, out of easy earshot.

DEVEREUX
(voice tight with pain)
Why, Hope? Why does it hurt so much to let him go? It's the right thing . . .

HOPE
Is it?

DEVEREUX
(with a shuddering breath)
I don't know. (looks toward Hope, her eyes bright with unspent tears) It hurts, Hope. (her voice is almost a whisper) Why does it hurt so much?

HOPE
This you know I cannot heal. (studies Devereux her captain for a moment in silence) What is it you wish from me?

DEVEREUX
(quietly)
I don't know . . . (sighs) I don't know what I need.

HOPE
(tilts her head slightly)
I believe you do.

Christine stares at Hope in silence. Something in her expression says that she knows that her friend spoke the truth.

DEVEREUX
Because I need someone to tell me that it's all right--that it's all right to love him, that the rest of it really doesn't matter . . .

Devereux begins to cry softly.

HOPE
(quietly)
We cannot stay.

DEVEREUX
(shakes her head slowly)
No. We can't.

A light knock sounds at the door.

Elizabeth looks toward Devereux who turns and nods slightly to Elizabeth to indicate her consent.

Elizabeth walks over and opens the door. Providence stands there, looking calm.

PROVIDENCE
I just came to bid you off one your journey, my dears. I hope you find what you're looking for.

No one says anything for a moment.

ELIZABETH
Thanks, Providence. (manages a smile) I'm sure we will.

PROVIDENCE
Time will tell, my dear. Time will tell.

Devereux looks at Providence as if trying to determine if there is a hidden meaning to Providence's words.

After a moment, Devereux manages to find her voice. It lacks the usual crisp edge of command.

DEVEREUX
We'll be leaving today. (swallows hesitantly) If there's anything else that needs to taken of, Scott (barest hesitation) said he'd cover it with you.

PROVIDENCE
(smiles gently)
It's quite all right, my dear. It's quite all right. I'm certain everything will soon be in its proper place again. As it should be . . . as it should be.

There is a long pause as Providence seems to consider something, almost as if listening to voice within her mind.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
Such a nice young man, that Scott. Isn't he?

DEVEREUX
Yes, he is.

PROVIDENCE
And that brother of his too. So different, yet so alike. Something of a future together, I dare say. They'd do anything for each other. (looks over the others) I'm certain you understand.

Devereux studies Providence again, but nothing in Providence's expression reveals anything. Devereux looks away and then down.

DEVEREUX
We should be going. (to Providence) Thank you for your hospitality.

PROVIDENCE
It was my pleasure, my dear. You were most interesting people to have about for a time.

Devereux studies Providence, but the old woman only smiles her gentle smile.

Devereux gathers one of the bags and heads for the door. The others follow, each taking a bag. They file past Providence, each looking at her, but saying nothing. Providence smiles at each of them with a slightly different knowing smile for each one.

They exit through the hallway and out of sight down the stairs.

Providence watches them as they leave.

PROVIDENCE
(whispers)
Yes . . . time will tell.

DISSOLVE TO:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger