Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Stardate undefined - Supplemental

There followed a long moment of awkward silence. David's mouth moved, but he chose not to speak whatever thoughts he had. Jana just looked away, her gaze moving over the mounds of debris and shattered consoles.

"Let me take a look at you," David finally offered. His voice was quiet, but the tone conveyed nothing but professional interest.

"I'm fine."

"Uh huh," David responded.

When he started to move toward the equipment locker, Jana stopped him, surprising herself by grabbing her arm.

"I already took it," she said. "I left it over by Wa."

A strange, almost undecipherable look passed over David's face. "Wa-Rhayvea's still alive? You're not the only one here?"

Jana shook her head. She felt suddenly very tired. "Just me," she answered. "Wa's unconscious," she said. "Or was when I left him."

"I'd better a take a look." David headed in the direction Jana had indicated.

"You're just an assistant counselor," she said. Her protest sounded weak and indifferent even to her.

"And you've had how much medical training?"

There was nothing caustic in David's retort. Under other circumstances, Jana might even have interpreted it as good-natured teasing. She chose to ignore it, her own fatigue and concern for Wa-Rhayvea, winning out.

David knelt, removing the tricorder from the emergency medical kit. "Don’t wander off too far," he cautioned Jana without turning around. "You're next." He began scanning Wa-Rhayvea's still form.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger