With her small crew complement, shipboard security would hopefully be among the least of her worries. Having her officers trained by a clear expert, however, was an advantage definitely worth considering.
“Thank you, Lieutenant,” Devereux said, knowing that her expression was not nearly as unreadable as she hoped it was. “I’ll take that under consideration.”
The truth was, she realized, that she had relatively few choices. No one else who she had considered for the position had anywhere near the amount of experience that this man had. The lieutenant was, if anything, far too overqualified for the position.
“I’d like some time to go review your service record again,” Devereux said.
She noticed a slight shift in his eyes as she mentioned it.
What am I missing here?
She studied the older man for a moment, but found nothing.
“That’s all the questions I have for you for now,” Devereux said. “I appreciate your interest.”6
Devereux looked away quickly, seeing a subtle shift in Hawkes’ lips. It was not a smile, but Devereux read it as one. He was not deceived by her play to delay her decision.
He knows I don’t have any other qualified candidates for that post.
Hawkes’s posture barely changed as rose from the chair. He offered Devereux a quick salute.
“Thank you for your time, Captain.”
Devereux returned the salute, all the time studying the lieutenant’s face. She still had not figured him out, but was becoming quite certain that she would be making a serious mistake by not offering him the position.
I’d better sleep on it, she thought. If nothing else, it’ll at least give me time to convince myself that I haven’t lost my mind.
Devereux’s eyes remained on the hatch as Lieutenant Hawkes disappeared into the corridor beyond it. She knew that she had already made up her mind.
0 comments:
Post a Comment