Hope stared back at the Captain. The Captain’s face filled her vision with startling clarity. All else around it seemed distant and out of focus. She attempted to will her way back to full control over her senses, but the effort exhausted her.
I needed to help . . . to help heal the Chief Engineer.
She found herself unable to speak the words aloud. The Captain glared down at her, glancing away only for an instant to check the monitors.
“I don’t think she’s in any immediate danger,” the Lieutenant Ramsey said. “She’s weak, and needs to rest, but it doesn’t seem any more serious than that.”
“Are you sure?” the Captain asked. Hope could hear the deep concern in her voice.
The Lieutenant Ramsey checked the readouts again and frowned. “As sure as I can be,” she said. “At least the monitors don’t seem to be showing anything more than that.” The Lieutenant Ramsey turned back to face the Captain apologetically. “I didn’t exactly get trained in Aerian physiology.”
An understanding scowl crossed the Captain’s face. “Something I guess we’d better all correct sooner rather than later.”
“Perhaps I can help, Captain.”
All of the heads turned toward the Tactical Officer in surprise.
“In what way?” the Captain asked.
The Tactical Officer studied Hope for a moment before turning back to answer the Captain’s question.
“I have gathered a considerable amount of data on Aerian physiological weaknesses and limitations,” he explained. “For tactical purposes.”
A faint smile played along the Captain’s lips. “Of course you have,” she said.
“Ever since Hope’s groupies showed up, eh?” the Chief Engineer quipped from the other bed.
The Tactical Officer’s mouth opened, but the Captain rested a hand on his arm. “Let it go, Lieutenant.”
The Tactical Officer regarded the Captain for a moment before turning to look once again at the medical displays. “I’ll have the data sent to Lieutenant Ramsey.”
“Thank you, Lieutenant,” the Captain said with sincere smile and then looked back down at Hope.
Hope stared back. The Captain appeared to be less agitated now. Hope tried to rise, but the strength to do so eluded her.
I am weak.
The acknowledgment did not please her.
“You need to rest,” the Captain told her. “I think Lieutenant Ramsey can handle things for a few days.”
No! I must study the Other One!
The Captain seemed not to notice her distress.
“And I’ve got two Security officers here to make sure you do,” she said, laughing softly.
Hope did not find the statement amusing.
0 comments:
Post a Comment