Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Emerald Flight: “Star Wing” (continued)

Her own eyes turned to the now-paused holographic image. Seeing the wreckage done to her ship, even after at least a half dozen viewings, still brought a swell of anxiety and anger.

It could have been so much worse.

Devereux studied the scene for a moment, and then reached down and deactivated the display. The image dissolved in a pale kaleidoscopic mist.

“You all know why we’re here,” she began. Her gaze remained on the area of empty air where the projection had been. “We have willingly brought on board this ship a being whose destructive force poses a significant threat to the safety its crew.” She took a short, slow breath. “And now we need to decide what to do about it.”

No one spoke, but some of the officers shifted in their chairs. Elizabeth, she noted, shot another hard glance toward Hawkes.

“I’ve read your reports and recommendation,” Devereux went on. “At least from those of you who bothered to submit official ones.”

Her eyes turned toward the Tactical Officer for a moment while a faint smile danced for an instant across her lips. Her gaze now swept across everyone seated around the table.

“I’d like to hear from everyone,” she said. “Be candid. If you have concerns, voice them. I don’t want my crew put at risk because someone didn’t speak up.” Her gaze lingered for a moment on Elizabeth as she said this.

Something’s definitely on her mind.

Devereux started to speak, but was interrupted by the intercom. Although relieved to see that it was not the bridge, a different concern rose when she saw that it came from the infirmary.

Devereux tapped the control. The face of Lieutenant Ramsey appeared on the small screen.

“I’m sorry to interrupt, Captain.” The young woman looked more than mildly frazzled.

“That’s all right, Lieutenant,” Devereux responded calmly. “Is something wrong with Hope?”

Ramsey visibly sighed. “Only in that she’s insisting on joining your meeting,” Ramsey explained, sounding both apologetic and frustrated at the same time. “But there’s no way I can release her from here yet. She’s not ready.”

Devereux nodded. “I understand.”

Why am I not surprised?

“What if she used her desk pickup?” Elizabeth suggested.

Ramsey looked uncertain.

“Would that be acceptable to you?” Devereux prompted her.

Ramsey hesitated. “Yeah,” she answered. “As long as she stays there.”

“I can patch her in,” Elizabeth said, already working the table controls.

A few moments later, Hope’s head, visible to the top of her shoulders, appeared at one end of the holographic display array.

“I am here,” she announced.

“So you are,” Devereux agreed, unable to wholly suppress a smile. “Shall we continue now?”

“Yes.” Hope agreed.

Not for the first time, Devereux wondered if Hope was typical of the Aerian medical officers who served on their own ships. She somehow doubted it.

“Okay, Lieutenant,” Devereux said, turning to Hawkes. “Let’s hear it.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger