INT. PROVIDENCE'S KITCHEN – DAY
Scott, Devereux, Janusae,and Providence are seated at the table.
Scott seems startled by Devereux's statement. Janusae seems equally surprised.
Devereux gives Scott a small smile.
Scott looks at her with a combination of surprise and interest.
Scott studies Devereux a moment and then glances at Janusae. He looks back at Devereux.
Devereux waits a moment, recognizing that Scott's suspicions have been aroused.
Scott tries unsuccessfully to hide his surprise and displeasure.
Devereux gives a small laugh.
Scott studies Devereux again.
Devereux stares back at Scott. There is a slight frown on her face as she considers what to tell him.
Devereux laughs.
Scott regards her for a moment. Her laugh has eased some of the tension between them.
Devereux smiles. It takes Scott a moment to realize what he has said. He looks away.
Scott frowns, looking at Devereux again.
There is a pause while Scott and Devereux each consider their next moves.
Scott looks at Devereux as if uncertain what to say.
Scott rises from the chair. Providence bustles in bearing two covered trays.
Scott looks back one more time at Devereux. She gives him a gentle, warm smile. Janusae is almost staring at him. Scott smiles back at her quickly and exits.
Devereux stares at the doorway where Scott left.
FADE TO:
Scott, Devereux, Janusae,and Providence are seated at the table.
Scott seems startled by Devereux's statement. Janusae seems equally surprised.
SCOTT
I'm not sure how, but I'll help if I can.
I'm not sure how, but I'll help if I can.
Devereux gives Scott a small smile.
DEVEREUX
You might be surprised. (beat) I'm not quite sure how to explain it . . .
SCOTT
(concerned)
Are you in trouble with the law?
DEVEREUX
(quietly, with a wry smile)
Only possibly with the laws of quantum physics . . .
You might be surprised. (beat) I'm not quite sure how to explain it . . .
SCOTT
(concerned)
Are you in trouble with the law?
DEVEREUX
(quietly, with a wry smile)
Only possibly with the laws of quantum physics . . .
Scott looks at her with a combination of surprise and interest.
DEVEREUX (CONT'D)
My . . . friends and I are actually here on a research assignment.
SCOTT
(nods)
Okay.
DEVEREUX
We're looking into work being down on alternative energy sources.
SCOTT
(laughs softly)
You picked kind of off-the-beaten-path place to start looking.
DEVEREUX
(smiles)
Universities are usually good sources of technologies on the cutting edge.
SCOTT
(nods)
True. But why not try Stanford or Berkeley or some place like that?
DEVEREUX
(shrugs, smiling)
We had to start somewhere.
My . . . friends and I are actually here on a research assignment.
SCOTT
(nods)
Okay.
DEVEREUX
We're looking into work being down on alternative energy sources.
SCOTT
(laughs softly)
You picked kind of off-the-beaten-path place to start looking.
DEVEREUX
(smiles)
Universities are usually good sources of technologies on the cutting edge.
SCOTT
(nods)
True. But why not try Stanford or Berkeley or some place like that?
DEVEREUX
(shrugs, smiling)
We had to start somewhere.
Scott studies Devereux a moment and then glances at Janusae. He looks back at Devereux.
SCOTT
I suppose so.
I suppose so.
Devereux waits a moment, recognizing that Scott's suspicions have been aroused.
DEVEREUX
We have reports that you and your brother are working on something might be of interest to us.
We have reports that you and your brother are working on something might be of interest to us.
Scott tries unsuccessfully to hide his surprise and displeasure.
SCOTT
I knew Thad talked in his sleep . . . (sighs) I wonder which one of his . . . (looks at Devereux) friends spilled it.
DEVEREUX
(smiles softly)
Maybe none of them.
SCOTT
(dubiously)
Uh huh. (beat) Why are you interested in it anyway? What organization do you work for?
DEVEREUX
I'd tell you, but you won't find any references to it anywhere.
SCOTT
That top-secret?
DEVEREUX
Not exactly. We just like to avoid . . . publicity.
SCOTT
You'll forgive me if I tell you that those answers don't exactly inspire confidence.
I knew Thad talked in his sleep . . . (sighs) I wonder which one of his . . . (looks at Devereux) friends spilled it.
DEVEREUX
(smiles softly)
Maybe none of them.
SCOTT
(dubiously)
Uh huh. (beat) Why are you interested in it anyway? What organization do you work for?
DEVEREUX
I'd tell you, but you won't find any references to it anywhere.
SCOTT
That top-secret?
DEVEREUX
Not exactly. We just like to avoid . . . publicity.
SCOTT
You'll forgive me if I tell you that those answers don't exactly inspire confidence.
Devereux gives a small laugh.
DEVEREUX
Understandable.
Understandable.
Scott studies Devereux again.
SCOTT
What can you tell me? I'm trying to imagine a reason why someone from a quasi-secret organization would be interested in my brother and I. None of them are coming out as particularly pleasant.
What can you tell me? I'm trying to imagine a reason why someone from a quasi-secret organization would be interested in my brother and I. None of them are coming out as particularly pleasant.
Devereux stares back at Scott. There is a slight frown on her face as she considers what to tell him.
DEVEREUX
(calmly)
I've already told you: we're looking for a new power source.
SCOTT
(nods)
I got that. But what you haven't told me yet is "why".
DEVEREUX
That part is kind of complicated.
SCOTT
Try me. I might surprise you.
(calmly)
I've already told you: we're looking for a new power source.
SCOTT
(nods)
I got that. But what you haven't told me yet is "why".
DEVEREUX
That part is kind of complicated.
SCOTT
Try me. I might surprise you.
Devereux laughs.
DEVEREUX
I've told you all I can for now.
I've told you all I can for now.
Scott regards her for a moment. Her laugh has eased some of the tension between them.
SCOTT
If this was a spy movie, it would turn out that you're a beautiful woman working for the other side.
If this was a spy movie, it would turn out that you're a beautiful woman working for the other side.
Devereux smiles. It takes Scott a moment to realize what he has said. He looks away.
DEVEREUX
(seriously)
I'm not. I need you to trust me.
SCOTT
I'd like to, Christine. Really, I would.
(seriously)
I'm not. I need you to trust me.
SCOTT
I'd like to, Christine. Really, I would.
Scott frowns, looking at Devereux again.
SCOTT (CONT'D)
(awkwardly)
To be honest, what my brother and I are working on isn't exactly ready for primetime.
DEVEREUX
(gently)
I'd still like to see it.
Devereux glances at Janusae and then back to Scott.
(cautiously)
I'll think about it.
DEVEREUX
(smiles amiably)
Fair enough.
(awkwardly)
To be honest, what my brother and I are working on isn't exactly ready for primetime.
DEVEREUX
(gently)
I'd still like to see it.
Devereux glances at Janusae and then back to Scott.
DEVEREUX (cont'd)
Maybe we can help.
(cautiously)
I'll think about it.
DEVEREUX
(smiles amiably)
Fair enough.
There is a pause while Scott and Devereux each consider their next moves.
SCOTT
I should be going. (smiles) It's not good to leave my brother unsupervised for too long.
DEVEREUX
(nods, laughing quietly)
Nice to see you again, Scott.
I should be going. (smiles) It's not good to leave my brother unsupervised for too long.
DEVEREUX
(nods, laughing quietly)
Nice to see you again, Scott.
Scott looks at Devereux as if uncertain what to say.
SCOTT
The same. (quick smile) I'm sure I'll see you again.
DEVEREUX
(smiles)
I hope so.
The same. (quick smile) I'm sure I'll see you again.
DEVEREUX
(smiles)
I hope so.
Scott rises from the chair. Providence bustles in bearing two covered trays.
PROVIDENCE
Scott, dear, don't forget these.
SCOTT
(smiles)
I wouldn't have, Lady P. Thank you very much, though.
PROVIDENCE
My pleasure, dear boy. My pleasure. Give my best to your brother.
SCOTT
I'll do that.
Scott, dear, don't forget these.
SCOTT
(smiles)
I wouldn't have, Lady P. Thank you very much, though.
PROVIDENCE
My pleasure, dear boy. My pleasure. Give my best to your brother.
SCOTT
I'll do that.
Scott looks back one more time at Devereux. She gives him a gentle, warm smile. Janusae is almost staring at him. Scott smiles back at her quickly and exits.
PROVIDENCE
Such a nice boy, don't you think?
Such a nice boy, don't you think?
Devereux stares at the doorway where Scott left.
DEVEREUX
(softly)
Yes.
(softly)
Yes.
FADE TO:
0 comments:
Post a Comment