All did not go exactly well.
I was able to make all of the necessary repairs with materials I had on hand, but it did require more than a little improvisation. From the outside, I didn’t think anyone would notice the difference. I guess that was the most important thing, particularly for Josh.
Josh came back down and quietly ate his snack while sitting on the stairs. He watched me for a while and, I think, seeing the whole repair process in action calmed his fears quite a bit. While I was at it, I also installed some minor software upgrades that I had been saving for the next time Gavin needed maintenance.
When I was ready to restart Gavin’s systems, I picked up the remote control and gestured to Josh. He came down the stairs and stood next to me. I held out the remote control.
“Do you want to do it?”
He eyed the control warily. He seemed to be struggling with the decision, but I gave him time.
Finally, he reached out, but did not take the remote control. Instead, he stabbed at the power control button and then snatched his finger back as if it had bitten him.
A moment later, much like the first time that I had activated him, there came the faint sounds of Gavin’s internal systems coming back to life.
His eyes began to blink again. I breathed a sigh, surprised at just how relieved I was to see that. He turned his head from one side to the other until he found Josh.
Josh grinned and turned to me, his face beaming. “Thanks, Dad!”
I smiled back at him, feeling very pleased with myself.
“No problem, kiddo.”
I looked at the two of them silently for a moment.
“Want me to carry him upstairs for you?”
“I can do it.”
The confidence in his voice made me smile.
“All right then,” I agreed, and lifted Gavin into a sitting position.
Josh helped as best he could and then backed up against the table. Gavin reached one arm over each of Josh’s shoulders. Josh gripped each of Gavin’s forearms and moved forward. I then watched as Josh climbed the stairs, slightly hunched over, Gavin fearlessly clinging to his back.
I turned to put away my tools and throw out the damaged parts, relishing that moment of joy. I was grinning despite my best efforts not to.
There were still times when Dad could fix everything.
0 comments:
Post a Comment