“Even those could be useful,” I mused aloud.
“They are not factual.”
“No,” I agreed. “They’re not.”
I frowned, wondering if Gavin really understood the concept and purpose of storytelling.
“There’s still something that can be learned from them, though.”
There was a long pause before Gavin spoke again.
“Many are based on inaccurate suppositions.”
“I’m sure,” I murmured aloud, not sure whether or not Gavin heard me—not that it mattered. “Explain.”
“Many of the fictional sources posit that artificial life forms wish to become more or completely human.”
I nodded, recalling many characters that fit that mold.
“I do not understand why this would be so,” Gavin continued.
“That’s more for dramatic license than anything else,” I told him.
There was a long silence.
“I don’t understand.”
My lips formed a small smile. It wasn’t very often that he admitted that any more.
“Usually, those characters are meant to provide a vehicle through which to examine and comment on human behavior as part of the story,” I explained. “Their wish to become human is just an excuse for them to explore different human experiences.”
“I understand.”
I took a slow breath. That had been easier than I had expected.
“A real synthetic being would not have the same goal.”
My eyes widened in surprise. I think what startled me most was that he phrased as a statement and not a question.
“Why not?” I asked him. “How would you know?”
“Because I do not.”
I opened my mouth to respond, but said nothing aloud.
And you think you speak for everyone?
The implications of any answer to that question stopped me.
As far I knew, Gavin was unique.
From the beginning, I had kept Gavin a closely guarded secret—one that, as far as I know, Josh and Carolyn had managed to keep during all the weeks since he had been activated. Originally, such secrecy was motivated by my goal to surprise Josh—and, yes, secondarily by a desire to avoid ridicule.
Now, though, it was driven by a desire to protect my creation. There were the technical aspects to consider, of course: possible patents, for example. While I was proud of my accomplishment, I didn’t him to become an object of curiosity—or imitation. While he was constructed chiefly from commonly available parts, his existence was unique. Seeing him duplicated or “perfected” was more than I thought I could deal with.
Those stories that Gavin mentioned . . . In how many of them did the inventor’s creation cease to function or lose its mind when confronted by badgering human beings?
That isn’t going to happen.
I had no way of knowing if this would be true, but the firm statement of both desire and intent seemed to calm my expanding fears.
0 comments:
Post a Comment