“I wish I had better news,” Raynes began, looking sincerely unhappy. It was not an expression Walter show often on the professor.
Using the moment to gather his thoughts again before continuing, Raynes activated the projection system above the conference table.
“Based on what we know now,” he went on, “they may have been operating underground for many, many years—possibly even decades.
A series of data charts appeared on the displays.
“It’s not clear what their ultimate goal is,” Raynes said. “Until recently, they’ve stayed mostly off the radar, engaging in activities that normally wouldn’t have attracted notice on an individual basis.”
“What changed?” Red asked.
“Our best guess,” Raynes replied, “is that Sapphire Knight’s accidental appearance,“ he gave Walter a quick wink, “at the Promenade disturbed something crucial to their plans.”
“Like what?”” Westin asked.
“We don’t know,” Raynes conceded gracefully.
“What?” Harrison cried out incredulously. He glared hard at Walter. “You don’t know what you saw there?”
Walter unconsciously backed away at Harrison’s outburst. Before he could speak to defend himself, though, Raynes interjected himself.
“Walter submitted a complete report.” He fixed his gaze on Harrison. “There’s nothing it provides that’s an obvious clue.”
“What about un-obvious ones?” Harrison countered. His eyes glanced at Walter and then back at Raynes. “Did you try hypnosis? Drugs? We have interrogation—“
“Walter,” Raynes interrupted, “has consented to controlled hypnosis in attempt to bring forth any details he might have missed.” He took a slow breath and looked at Walter apologetically. “It might also reveal that he has been tampered with.”
“A mole?” Westin gasped. His eyes turned toward Walter in a suspicious gaze.
“That’s what we hope to find out,” Raynes replied.
Walter looked at Raynes in disbelief. The professor had not told him this yet. He then remembered Grant’s description of sleeper agents and felt a chill journey down his spine. Although the idea of going under hypnosis completely terrified him, he was now even more motivated to get it over with.
I don’t feel like a spy. But then I wouldn’t, would I?
Those silent questions brought him down the logical path to the next one.
What if I am?
0 comments:
Post a Comment