Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Heroic Measures (continued)

“I don’t know,” Walter whispered.

He looked down at his hands. They looked the same to him as they already had. He now wondered, though, whether he might have been secretly programmed to use them to kill someone.

“Neither do we.” Raynes looked grim. “I don’t think we dare try it again,” he said. “We got lucky this time. The next time . . . I’m not so sure.”

Walter looked over at Hansen. The physician’s expression was equally sober. Walter was not sure that he would be willing to volunteer for another attempt even if the two men had any hopes of its success.

“Okay,” Walter said, willing to ask the question that no one else in the room seemed to want to. “What do we do next?”

Raynes and Hansen exchanged an awkward glance. Walter waited, but neither man said anything. He grew increasingly nervous.

If they want to put me under observation, why don’t they just say so?

Walter decided to see if he could force their hand, to get them to admit that they believed that he might be a danger and needed to be contained.

“I’d like to take another look at the warehouse,” Walter said.

“We’ve already been over it thoroughly,” Hansen objected.

“Good idea,” Raynes countered, to Walter’s surprise. “But take someone with you.”

“I’ll take Red,” Walter offered, after taking a moment to recover from the unexpected agreement with his proposal. “And Vivian, if she’s available.”

Raynes nodded his approval. “She is.” He looked toward Hansen and then back at Walter. There was a firm set to the lines of his jaw. “But I want you wearing a remote medical monitor,” he said. “Just in case.”

Walter slowly nodded. It made sense, particularly given what had happened under hypnosis.

Hansen rose from the chair.

“I’ll prepare one.” To Walter, he said, “But you’ll need to stop by the infirmary before leave.”

“Okay,” Walter agreed. “I will.”

Hansen left while Walter remained seated on the bed. Raynes appeared to be deep in thought over some matter.

Probably me, Walter thought. I’d better get out of here before he changes his mind.

Walter rose and Raynes’ eyes tracked toward him for a moment.

“Good luck, Walter,” he said, still somewhat distant. “I’d like a full report.”

“Yes, sir.”

Walter left the apartment, leaving Raynes still seated, working through his thoughts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger