INT. DEVEREUX'S APARTMENT – NIGHT
Establishing shot showing Devereux, Hope, and Janusae. Devereux has a tablet in front of her on the table. Hope is seated near her, adjusting one of her pieces of medical equipment. Janusae is engrossed by something on the television.
Devereux turns to stare out the window into the night.
Devereux turns toward Hope and manages a faint smile.
Devereux's smile widens slightly.
We hear the sound of someone entering from the doorway.
Elizabeth enters. She looks both tired and energized at the same time.
Devereux looks at Elizabeth for a moment and then smiles.
Elizabeth beams at her. Before she can speak, however, Janusae interrupts.
Some of Elizabeth's exuberance fades.
Janusae smiles in triumph. It is a good-natured smile, not a mean-spirited one.
Elizabeth glances at Devereux. Devereux manages an understanding smile and turns toward Hope.
Hope studies Elizabeth for only a moment. She nods once.
Devereux chuckles softly and turns back to Elizabeth. Elizabeth relaxes.
Devereux watches Elizabeth and tries not to do more than smile slightly.
Elizabeth looks thoughtful for a moment.
Elizabeth glances at Janusae with mild irritation.
Devereux glances toward Janusae, who shakes in her head in non-recognition of the name.
Elizabeth looks thoughtful for a long moment.
Devereux shares an alarmed look with Hope and Janusae.
Devereux shakes her head, realizing that there is little chance of getting anything meaningful out of Elizabeth at the moment.
Devereux shakes her head, trying not to smile.
Hope reaches toward one of the pouches at her waist. Elizabeth stares at Hope for a long moment in silence before she looks away abruptly.
Hope looks at Devereux. Devereux gestures for her to forget it. She nods to Janusae to assist Elizabeth back to their room. Janusae smiles, looking at Elizabeth with amusement.
Elizabeth and Janusae exit the apartment.
Devereux looks at Hope and shakes her head.
Hope looks at her blankly.
FADE TO:
Establishing shot showing Devereux, Hope, and Janusae. Devereux has a tablet in front of her on the table. Hope is seated near her, adjusting one of her pieces of medical equipment. Janusae is engrossed by something on the television.
HOPE
You are concerned.
DEVEREUX
Yes, Hope, I'm concerned.
You are concerned.
DEVEREUX
Yes, Hope, I'm concerned.
Devereux turns to stare out the window into the night.
DEVEREUX (CONT'D)
I'm concerned that we won't get home. I'm concerned at how many risks we're having to take. I'm concerned about what to do if we're forced to stay here. (sighs) I'd rather face an entire Fegallor squadron than try to deal with this. At least there I'd know who the enemy was and what to do.
HOPE
We must return home.
DEVEREUX
(softly)
And if we can't?
HOPE
We will.
I'm concerned that we won't get home. I'm concerned at how many risks we're having to take. I'm concerned about what to do if we're forced to stay here. (sighs) I'd rather face an entire Fegallor squadron than try to deal with this. At least there I'd know who the enemy was and what to do.
HOPE
We must return home.
DEVEREUX
(softly)
And if we can't?
HOPE
We will.
Devereux turns toward Hope and manages a faint smile.
DEVEREUX
I wish I had your faith.
HOPE
It is not faith. It is confidence.
I wish I had your faith.
HOPE
It is not faith. It is confidence.
Devereux's smile widens slightly.
We hear the sound of someone entering from the doorway.
Elizabeth enters. She looks both tired and energized at the same time.
ELIZABETH
I found him! (laughs) He was there tonight!
I found him! (laughs) He was there tonight!
Devereux looks at Elizabeth for a moment and then smiles.
DEVEREUX
Have a good time, Lieutenant?
Have a good time, Lieutenant?
Elizabeth beams at her. Before she can speak, however, Janusae interrupts.
JANUSAE
(laughs with mild amusement)
She's drunk, Captain.
(laughs with mild amusement)
She's drunk, Captain.
Some of Elizabeth's exuberance fades.
ELIZABETH
I am not! (beat) (quieter) Maybe a little . . .
I am not! (beat) (quieter) Maybe a little . . .
Janusae smiles in triumph. It is a good-natured smile, not a mean-spirited one.
Elizabeth glances at Devereux. Devereux manages an understanding smile and turns toward Hope.
Hope studies Elizabeth for only a moment. She nods once.
HOPE
She is intoxicated. Mildly.
She is intoxicated. Mildly.
Devereux chuckles softly and turns back to Elizabeth. Elizabeth relaxes.
DEVEREUX
What did you find out?
ELIZABETH
He can drink--a lot. And dance. He likes to dance.
What did you find out?
ELIZABETH
He can drink--a lot. And dance. He likes to dance.
Devereux watches Elizabeth and tries not to do more than smile slightly.
DEVEREUX
Did you find out anything else?
Did you find out anything else?
Elizabeth looks thoughtful for a moment.
ELIZABETH
A lot of girls don't like him. (beat) I don't know why . . .
JANUSAE
Really? According to all of histories I've seen, he had a considerable female following.
A lot of girls don't like him. (beat) I don't know why . . .
JANUSAE
Really? According to all of histories I've seen, he had a considerable female following.
Elizabeth glances at Janusae with mild irritation.
ELIZABETH
Well this one didn't want to follow him any more. (beat) Vanessa . . . or something like that.
Well this one didn't want to follow him any more. (beat) Vanessa . . . or something like that.
Devereux glances toward Janusae, who shakes in her head in non-recognition of the name.
DEVEREUX
Did you find out anything about the prototype drive?
Did you find out anything about the prototype drive?
Elizabeth looks thoughtful for a long moment.
ELIZABETH
Nope.
DEVEREUX
What did you talk about all evening?
ELIZABETH
(smiles)
We talked about physics.
Nope.
DEVEREUX
What did you talk about all evening?
ELIZABETH
(smiles)
We talked about physics.
Devereux shares an alarmed look with Hope and Janusae.
DEVEREUX
Physics?
ELIZABETH
(nods)
Physics. And Tesla coils. (giggles) Thad likes Tesla coils.
Physics?
ELIZABETH
(nods)
Physics. And Tesla coils. (giggles) Thad likes Tesla coils.
Devereux shakes her head, realizing that there is little chance of getting anything meaningful out of Elizabeth at the moment.
DEVEREUX
(rises)
Well, it's been a long day . . . (glances at Elizabeth) . . . and night. Time to turn in.
ELIZABETH
(almost saluting)
Yes, Captain.
(rises)
Well, it's been a long day . . . (glances at Elizabeth) . . . and night. Time to turn in.
ELIZABETH
(almost saluting)
Yes, Captain.
Devereux shakes her head, trying not to smile.
DEVEREUX
Elizabeth, let Hope give you something--for later.
Elizabeth, let Hope give you something--for later.
Hope reaches toward one of the pouches at her waist. Elizabeth stares at Hope for a long moment in silence before she looks away abruptly.
ELIZABETH
No. I'm good.
No. I'm good.
Hope looks at Devereux. Devereux gestures for her to forget it. She nods to Janusae to assist Elizabeth back to their room. Janusae smiles, looking at Elizabeth with amusement.
JANUSAE
Good night, Captain . . . Hope.
Good night, Captain . . . Hope.
DEVEREUX
(smiles)
Good night, Roberta.
(smiles)
Good night, Roberta.
Elizabeth and Janusae exit the apartment.
Devereux looks at Hope and shakes her head.
HOPE
Her objective was achieved.
Her objective was achieved.
DEVEREUX
Yes it was. (beat) I just hope she remembers what it was in the morning.
Yes it was. (beat) I just hope she remembers what it was in the morning.
Hope looks at her blankly.
DEVEREUX (CONT'D)
(shakes head)
Never mind. (beat) I think it is time for bed.
(shakes head)
Never mind. (beat) I think it is time for bed.
FADE TO:
0 comments:
Post a Comment