Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Calico (continued)

Mikolai trails off at the sound of someone outside in the hallway. After the sound fades away, he continues.

Mikolai (cont'd)

This isn't the Old Country. (beat) Either of them.

Piotr

This is no place for us. We should be--

Mikolai

We're here. We live here now. We can't go back.

Piotr
(snorts)

You don’t care. Just because--

Mikolai
(with surprising calm)

--because I'm not eldest of his sons? Because the lands and titles would not be mine? (beat) That is gone.

Piotr

We are still--

Mikolai

We are nothing. We start again . . . like all who came with us in the boat across the sea.

Piotr

We should be great. As Papa says.

Mikolai
(with a faint smile)

We will be. But not the same.

Piotr
(sneers)

Then it is nothing.

Mikolai

Which is all we have now. (sighs) We will have even less if I do not work tomorrow. I will sleep now.

Piotr makes a derisive sound.

After a moment staring at Mikolai, Piotr exits the room. He closes the door a little too loudly behind him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger