Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Heroic Measures (continued)

"I filed a report," Walter said softly.

Red nodded. He seemed suddenly distant. Walter had to call his name three times before the red-haired young man turned his attention back to Walter.

"Sorry, Walt," he said with a wry, apologetic smile. "What were you saying?"

"I asked if you were all right."

A small smile quirked the edges of Red's mouth. "Sure," he said. "It just reminded me of something."

The look of concern returned to Walter's face. "Something bad?"

"I don't know," Red replied vaguely. "It was something I remember reading somewhere . . ."

"Werewolves?"

"Huh?" Red looked genuinely puzzled and surprised. After a moment, he recovered and chuckled softly. "No, I don't think so," he said. "Not this time, anyway."

Walter felt a wash of relief flow through him. Science he understood; it was his specialty. Paranormal and mythical happenings unsettled him . . . at least until he could understand the underlying scientific causes. Unfortunately, those were not always readily apparent.

"You know something." Walter's assertion came out as a statement, not a question.

Red shook his head. "No," he said, "I don't know anything . . . just something I heard. But it was a while ago."

Walter frowned. Studying Red's face, he could tell that his friend would reveal nothing more for now. He rose from the bench.

"I'm going to head out," he told Red. He glanced at his watch and his eyes widened. "Damn it! I'm late."

Walter grabbed his bag and dashed for the doorway. He did not turn around, but he knew that Red was shaking his head and laughing softly behind him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger