Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2008

"Pilot": 06-07-08

INT. DEVEREUX'S APARTMENT – DAY

Devereux, Elizabeth, Hope, and Janusae are situated as we left them.

JANUSAE
(eagerly)
I volunteer, Captain. (smiles happily) I can gather some additional information . . .

DEVEREUX
(gently)
No, Roberta.

Janusae looks deeply disappointed.

DEVEREUX (CONT'D)
I'm sorry, but I'd like one of my officers to handle this. Just in case . . .

JANUSAE
(sadly)
I understand, Captain.

Devereux looks at Hope and then Elizabeth for a moment.

DEVEREUX
I guess you get the duty, Lieutenant.

ELIZABETH
(seriously)
Yes, ma'am. (beat) Do you have a plan?

DEVEREUX
(frowns)
Not yet. (thoughtfully) A public place might be better, as it should limit your specific contact with him.

ELIZABETH
(to Janusae)
Do we know where they used to go to relax?

Janusae thinks about it and then shrugs slightly.

HOPE
There are several locations referenced.

ELIZABETH
What do you mean?

HOPE
(looks at tablet)
Many establishments claim patronage by the brothers.

Elizabeth walks over to stand beside Hope, looking down at the tablet.

ELIZABETH
Can you show me a list?

HOPE
Yes.

Hope works with the tablet controls for a moment and the hands it to Elizabeth. Elizabeth studies the list silently for a moment with a frown. She works the controls herself and then looks at the list again.

ELIZABETH
A lot of these are out because it doesn't look like either Scott or Thad went there yet, based on the records. (beat) That leaves five or six that might work.

JANUSAE
What if none of them do?

DEVEREUX
It's somewhere to start. If neither of them show up at any of them after a few tries, we'll start looking elsewhere.

ELIZABETH
Like Lady Providence's kitchen.

DEVEREUX
(laughs softly)
I wouldn't be surprised.

HOPE
Nor would I.

The four of them exchange uncomfortable glances in silence.

ELIZABETH
(points to tablet)
I'll start with this one. (to Devereux) Tonight?

Devereux considers this for a moment.

DEVEREUX
If you're up for it. I really don't want to stay here any longer than we have to.

ELIZABETH
(smiles)
I'm up for it. (ponders) I'll probably need some different clothes.

Devereux frowns, not at all pleased at the prospect.

We hear a faint knock at the door. Everyone but Hope reacts in startlement. Hope only turns to look at the door.

Devereux walks over and opens the door, revealing Providence.

PROVIDENCE
I'm sorry to disturb you, dear.

DEVEREUX
(concerned)
Is there a problem?

PROVIDENCE
(smiles)
Not at all, dear. Not at all.

Devereux opens the door wider so Providence can enter. Providence takes only one step inside the doorway.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
I just wanted to tell you that the young lady who had this room before left a great deal of her clothing behind. In the closet there. (eyes Elizabeth) I dare say it might suit you if you should need it.

Devereux and Elizabeth try not to stare at Providence. Providence does not seem to notice.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
I forgot to mention it before, with all the excitement about this afternoon's tea and all.

There is a lengthy pause before Devereux manages to find her voice.

DEVEREUX
Thank you for letting us. (gracious smile) I'm sure it'll be useful.

PROVIDENCE
(smiles)
No trouble at all, dear. (beat) Oh, I must get back to the kitchen. I left a stew simmering.

Laughing quietly, Providence leaves.

Devereux stands there for a moment with the door open. She seems to gather herself and closes the door, looking toward the others.

Janusae and Elizabeth head for the closet, with Janusae reaching it first. She opens it, revealing an array of clothing of differing colors and styles. Elizabeth looks through them for a few moments before pulling one out.

It is a dark purple dress, fashionably cut and appears to be close to Elizabeth's size.

ELIZABETH
Is it me, or does anyone else feel like we've landed in a dollhouse?

FADE TO:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger