Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2008

"Pilot": 06-01-08

INT. PROVIDENCE KITCHEN - DAY

Establishing shot of the kitchen with a small dining table prominent. It is nicely decorated with tablecloth, linens, and china. There are five place settings.

Providence is working at one of the counters, preparing something when we hear a knock at the door. Providence wipes her hands and heads toward the doorway.

Shot over Providence's shoulder as she opens the door revealing Devereux, Elizabeth, and Janusae standing there.

PROVIDENCE
(smiles)
Come in, please. Come in.

The three women step through the doorway into the kitchen, pausing just inside. Providence closes the door behind them.

We hear a clock chiming the hour in the background.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
Oh, so very prompt.

DEVEREUX
(laughs softly)
We try.

PROVIDENCE
Come in. Please have a seat at the table. (beat) I'll be ready in just one moment.

Devereux, Elizabeth, and Janusae walk to the table and stand there a moment, surveying the setup.

ELIZABETH
(whispers)
It's like something out of a museum.

JANUSAE
(whispers, grinning)
Wonderful, isn't it?

Providence approaches, bearing a platter of food.

PROVIDENCE
(to Devereux, gestures to a chair)
Why don't you sit here, dear?

Devereux smiles and seats herself in the offered spot. She nods to Elizabeth and Janusae to take seats as well.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
Excellent, excellent.

Janusae picks up her teacup and examines it top to bottom.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
A family heirloom, dear. (thoughtful, glances at Devereux) Brought over from France, if I remember correctly.

Janusae blushes slightly at being caught. Devereux smiles slightly without looking at Janusae.

We hear the whistle of an old-fashioned tea kettle. Providence wanders back into the kitchen, leaving the three women alone again. Devereux and Elizabeth exchange bemused looks. Janusae seems almost giddy at being in the midst of so much living history.

Providence returns carrying a teapot.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
It'll be ready in a few minutes. (beat) Please, help yourself to the goodies while we wait.

Providence returns to the kitchen once more.

Devereux nods to the others, reaching for one of the plates herself. Elizabeth and Janusae each start placing items on their plate, Janusae with more enthusiasm and interest than Elizabeth. Elizabeth looks cautiously at several of the items, uncertain what they are.

Providence returns to the table again, bearing yet another plate of items. She places it on the table and then reaches for the teapot and begins to fill everyone's cup.
When she finishes, she sits down.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
(smiling brightly)
I'm so pleased you decided to join me this afternoon.

DEVEREUX
(smiles)
It was very generous of you to invite us.

PROVIDENCE
Nonsense, my dear. Simply good manners.

The group drinks and eats in silence for several moments.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
I am most curious what brings you to our town, if I'm not prying too much.

DEVEREUX
(cautious smile)
Not at all.

Devereux notes that Elizabeth and Janusae are watching her carefully. She gives no sign of it and continues looking at Providence.

DEVEREUX (CONT'D)
We're hoping to find some friends of ours. (beat) It's been a very long time since we've seen them.

PROVIDENCE
Oh how lovely. Perhaps I can help. I've been in this town for more years than I dare count. The chances are quite good that I might know them.

DEVEREUX
Well, we hoped to make it kind of a surprise. They're, um, not really expecting us.

PROVIDENCE
(laughs quietly)
I'll be quite discrete, dear. (beat) I'm certain I can help you.

DEVEREUX
(laughs quietly)
I appreciate the offer . . . Miss . . . ? (trails off)

PROVIDENCE
You can just call me Providence, my dear. Or Lady Providence, if you insist on something more formal. (lowers voice) It's not that I'm royalty or such, but it's an affectation that got out of hand many years ago and I'm loathe to discourage it know. (smiles)

DEVEREUX
(laughs)
I see.

PROVIDENCE
(more seriously)
I really would like to help you, my dear. Good friends can be so difficult to find in times of need.

Devereux stares at Providence, but tries not to. She is about speak when we hear the chiming of a doorbell.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
(smiles)
One moment while I get the door. (beat) I invited someone else to join us. I hope you don't mind.

DEVEREUX
(quickly)
No, not at all.

PROVIDENCE
(smiles warmly)
Lovely. I thought not.

Providence leaves the table and exits the kitchen.

Devereux exchanges a mildly worried look with Elizabeth and Janusae.

We hear two sets of footsteps approaching.

Providence appears in the doorway.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
. . . and I have three lovely young ladies I'd like you to meet. They're renting my loft rooms for a bit while they're here in town. I think you'll find them quite interesting. (looks back through doorway, smiles) Come along, dear, I don't believe they bite.

Providence steps into the kitchen and away from the doorway. A vague shadow forms in the doorway and then resolves into Scott as he walks through he doorways and stops.

Reaction shot of Devereux, Elizabeth, and Janusae.

FADE TO:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger