INT. DEVEREUX'S APARTMENT - DAY
Devereux, Elizabeth, Hope, and Janusae are gathered in Devereux's apartment.
Devereux glances at Hope. Hope looks back without any visible reaction.
Elizabeth laughs.
Janusae looks pleased; Elizabeth less so.
FADE TO:
Devereux, Elizabeth, Hope, and Janusae are gathered in Devereux's apartment.
DEVEREUX
We need to find a way to make contact with at least one of the brothers.
ELIZABETH
How are we going introduce ourselves to them?
DEVEREUX
That's a key problem. (thoughtful) And we'll need a believable cover story.
We need to find a way to make contact with at least one of the brothers.
ELIZABETH
How are we going introduce ourselves to them?
DEVEREUX
That's a key problem. (thoughtful) And we'll need a believable cover story.
Devereux glances at Hope. Hope looks back without any visible reaction.
ELIZABETH
Why didn't we create one before we left the ship?
DEVEREUX
(awkwardly)
Lieutenant Hawkes and I came up with several. (beat) The Chief suggested a few as well. (rolls eyes mildly)
ELIZABETH
(chuckles)
I can imagine.
DEVEREUX
(with mock irritation)
No, you can't.
Why didn't we create one before we left the ship?
DEVEREUX
(awkwardly)
Lieutenant Hawkes and I came up with several. (beat) The Chief suggested a few as well. (rolls eyes mildly)
ELIZABETH
(chuckles)
I can imagine.
DEVEREUX
(with mock irritation)
No, you can't.
Elizabeth laughs.
DEVEREUX (CONT'D)
The truth is: none of them seemed particularly plausible or required too many questions to be answered.
JANUSAE
(eagerly)
I could have helped. I've studied this era in detail. I know . . .
DEVEREUX
(smiling)
Yes, Roberta, I know.
ELIZABETH
Did you choose one?
DEVEREUX
(nods)
Yes. (beat) (here voice takes on a faint French accent) We're visitors from the European Union here on holiday.
JANUSAE
Not yet, Captain.
DEVEREUX
(puzzled)
Excuse me?
JANUSAE
Europe of this era is still individual countries. The European Union Accord didn't happen until after . . .
DEVEREUX
Oh, that's right.
JANUSAE
(matter-of-factly)
We're going to have to be more careful about our facts if we discuss them publicly.
DEVEREUX
(strained smile)
We'll try not to.
Elizabeth looks over at the clock. It shows a time not too far from two o'clock.
ELIZABETH
Were you actually planning to have tea with the woman who rented us these rooms?
DEVEREUX
I hadn't. I was just being polite. (beat) But now, I think it might not be a bad idea. (looks at Hope) She seems to know things that might be useful to us. And she could give us some additional insights into the attitudes of this time that might keep us from making mistakes that get us noticed.
JANUSAE
An excellent idea! I'm sure we . . .
DEVEREUX
(mock seriousness)
We?
JANUSAE
Oh. Not all of us?
Elizabeth looks relieved.
DEVEREUX
No. (beat) I think Hope should stay here.
The truth is: none of them seemed particularly plausible or required too many questions to be answered.
JANUSAE
(eagerly)
I could have helped. I've studied this era in detail. I know . . .
DEVEREUX
(smiling)
Yes, Roberta, I know.
ELIZABETH
Did you choose one?
DEVEREUX
(nods)
Yes. (beat) (here voice takes on a faint French accent) We're visitors from the European Union here on holiday.
JANUSAE
Not yet, Captain.
DEVEREUX
(puzzled)
Excuse me?
JANUSAE
Europe of this era is still individual countries. The European Union Accord didn't happen until after . . .
DEVEREUX
Oh, that's right.
JANUSAE
(matter-of-factly)
We're going to have to be more careful about our facts if we discuss them publicly.
DEVEREUX
(strained smile)
We'll try not to.
Elizabeth looks over at the clock. It shows a time not too far from two o'clock.
ELIZABETH
Were you actually planning to have tea with the woman who rented us these rooms?
DEVEREUX
I hadn't. I was just being polite. (beat) But now, I think it might not be a bad idea. (looks at Hope) She seems to know things that might be useful to us. And she could give us some additional insights into the attitudes of this time that might keep us from making mistakes that get us noticed.
JANUSAE
An excellent idea! I'm sure we . . .
DEVEREUX
(mock seriousness)
We?
JANUSAE
Oh. Not all of us?
Elizabeth looks relieved.
DEVEREUX
No. (beat) I think Hope should stay here.
Janusae looks pleased; Elizabeth less so.
HOPE
A wise precaution. Although perhaps unnecessary in this instance.
DEVEREUX
Oh? Do you want to come with us?
There is a pause before Hope responds.
HOPE
I will remain here.
DEVEREUX
(chuckles)
I guess the rest of us had better get ready then.
A wise precaution. Although perhaps unnecessary in this instance.
DEVEREUX
Oh? Do you want to come with us?
There is a pause before Hope responds.
HOPE
I will remain here.
DEVEREUX
(chuckles)
I guess the rest of us had better get ready then.
FADE TO:
0 comments:
Post a Comment