INT. RAYNES LAB – NIGHT (CONT'D)
There is a pause while Elizabeth continues to monitor the readings. Rusty stares at the prototype, his expression one of pride and confidence. The others watch with mixed expressions of anticipation and concern.
He looks from Devereux to Thad and then to Scott. Scott nods silently, cautiously.
Rusty adjust the controls again. The hum becomes much louder now. Any irregularities in its pattern are much more apparent.
Elizabeth checks her displays again, looking somewhat skeptical.
Rusty looks confused for a moment and then grins.
Elizabeth nods in acknowledgment and watches the displays around her.
The hum decreases slowly, but within a few seconds it becomes quiet enough that people can speak without shouting.
There is a long moment of silence as the noise ceases.
Devereux suddenly smiles and reaches out for Scott's hand.
Scott looks at Thad. Reluctance to believe is clear on his expression.
Scott turns toward Devereux, his expression serious, but listening.
DEVEREUX (CONT'D)
None of this would have happened if it weren't for you and your brother's work.
Scott thinks this over, his expression changing slightly.
Devereux stares at Scott for a moment before understanding. She smiles at him.
Elizabeth and Janusae seem somewhat disappointed, but neither one says anything.
Elizabeth and Thad eye Rusty suspiciously.
Rusty fixes Hope with an annoyed stare.
Scott looks at Hope and then back at Rusty. After a moment, he nods tiredly.
Thad exits the workshop with Elizabeth and Janusae close behind him. Scott and Devereux follow.
There is a moment of silence before Rusty looks at Hope.
Rusty pauses a moment to consider Hope's statement.
Rusty gives Hope an annoyed looks and begins gathering some of the tools laying around.
DISSOLVE TO:
There is a pause while Elizabeth continues to monitor the readings. Rusty stares at the prototype, his expression one of pride and confidence. The others watch with mixed expressions of anticipation and concern.
RUSTY (CONT'D)
Shall we take it up to full?
Shall we take it up to full?
He looks from Devereux to Thad and then to Scott. Scott nods silently, cautiously.
Rusty adjust the controls again. The hum becomes much louder now. Any irregularities in its pattern are much more apparent.
ELIZABETH
There's some new variances, Chief. The resonance buffers, I think.
RUSTY
(nods confidently)
I expected that. You can compensate for that if you need to once you've installed it on the ship.
There's some new variances, Chief. The resonance buffers, I think.
RUSTY
(nods confidently)
I expected that. You can compensate for that if you need to once you've installed it on the ship.
Elizabeth checks her displays again, looking somewhat skeptical.
ELIZABETH
The discontinuity field seems to be stable . . .
RUSTY
(casually)
It's fine, it's fine.
THAD
(shouting)
Can we shut it down now?
The discontinuity field seems to be stable . . .
RUSTY
(casually)
It's fine, it's fine.
THAD
(shouting)
Can we shut it down now?
Rusty looks confused for a moment and then grins.
RUSTY
Oh, sure. (beat) Nice and easy, Lizzie.
Oh, sure. (beat) Nice and easy, Lizzie.
Elizabeth nods in acknowledgment and watches the displays around her.
The hum decreases slowly, but within a few seconds it becomes quiet enough that people can speak without shouting.
There is a long moment of silence as the noise ceases.
Devereux suddenly smiles and reaches out for Scott's hand.
DEVEREUX
Congratulations, gentlemen. You've successfully bench-tested the first prototype faster-than-light drive.
SCOTT
(puzzled)
But . . . you finished building it.
THAD
(grinning widely)
But we designed it, bro! Even before they showed up, we designed it. They just tweaked it a bit so it would work.
Congratulations, gentlemen. You've successfully bench-tested the first prototype faster-than-light drive.
SCOTT
(puzzled)
But . . . you finished building it.
THAD
(grinning widely)
But we designed it, bro! Even before they showed up, we designed it. They just tweaked it a bit so it would work.
Scott looks at Thad. Reluctance to believe is clear on his expression.
RUSTY
That's right. (slaps chassis) This is the official Raynes FTL engine version one.
DEVEREUX
(gently)
They're right, Scott.
That's right. (slaps chassis) This is the official Raynes FTL engine version one.
DEVEREUX
(gently)
They're right, Scott.
Scott turns toward Devereux, his expression serious, but listening.
DEVEREUX (CONT'D)
None of this would have happened if it weren't for you and your brother's work.
Scott thinks this over, his expression changing slightly.
SCOTT
It sounds . . . strange when you put it that way.
It sounds . . . strange when you put it that way.
Devereux stares at Scott for a moment before understanding. She smiles at him.
DEVEREUX
Yeah, I suppose it does.
THAD
(eagerly)
You know we need to celebrate this! (frowns) I don't think we have any champagne stashed away.
RUSTY
How about beer? Whiskey?
SCOTT
I'd settle for sleep.
There is an awkward moment of silence.
THAD
(reluctantly)
Yeah, I guess it is pretty late. We can always run out and get some tomorrow.
Yeah, I suppose it does.
THAD
(eagerly)
You know we need to celebrate this! (frowns) I don't think we have any champagne stashed away.
RUSTY
How about beer? Whiskey?
SCOTT
I'd settle for sleep.
There is an awkward moment of silence.
THAD
(reluctantly)
Yeah, I guess it is pretty late. We can always run out and get some tomorrow.
Elizabeth and Janusae seem somewhat disappointed, but neither one says anything.
RUSTY
Yeah. You go hit your bunks and I'll clean up down here.
Yeah. You go hit your bunks and I'll clean up down here.
Elizabeth and Thad eye Rusty suspiciously.
ELIZABETH
You sure, Chief?
RUSTY
Yeah, I'm still on ship's time. (beat) I'll run a few more diagnostics and then grab a cat nap.
HOPE
I will assist.
You sure, Chief?
RUSTY
Yeah, I'm still on ship's time. (beat) I'll run a few more diagnostics and then grab a cat nap.
HOPE
I will assist.
Rusty fixes Hope with an annoyed stare.
RUSTY
Oh. Joy.
SCOTT
I don't know. Maybe we should . . .
DEVEREUX
It'll be fine, Scott. (smiles) Hope'll keep on eye on him.
Oh. Joy.
SCOTT
I don't know. Maybe we should . . .
DEVEREUX
It'll be fine, Scott. (smiles) Hope'll keep on eye on him.
Scott looks at Hope and then back at Rusty. After a moment, he nods tiredly.
SCOTT
Okay, but call us if you find anything.
RUSTY
You betcha.
Okay, but call us if you find anything.
RUSTY
You betcha.
Thad exits the workshop with Elizabeth and Janusae close behind him. Scott and Devereux follow.
There is a moment of silence before Rusty looks at Hope.
RUSTY
Don't you have something better to do right now?
HOPE
Yes.
RUSTY
Then go do it.
HOPE
My orders are to observe you.
RUSTY
Oh boy. Like one of your lab specimens.
HOPE
No.
RUSTY
(puzzled)
No?
HOPE
They behave in predictable patterns.
Don't you have something better to do right now?
HOPE
Yes.
RUSTY
Then go do it.
HOPE
My orders are to observe you.
RUSTY
Oh boy. Like one of your lab specimens.
HOPE
No.
RUSTY
(puzzled)
No?
HOPE
They behave in predictable patterns.
Rusty pauses a moment to consider Hope's statement.
RUSTY
That's harsh, Hope. Harsh.
HOPE
An observation only. No judgment was intended.
RUSTY
Right.
That's harsh, Hope. Harsh.
HOPE
An observation only. No judgment was intended.
RUSTY
Right.
Rusty gives Hope an annoyed looks and begins gathering some of the tools laying around.
DISSOLVE TO:
0 comments:
Post a Comment