Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Pilot": 05-13-08

INT. RAYNES LAB

Thad enters. We see Scott sitting at one of the desk poring over sheets of paper and items on the computer display.

THAD
Hey, I figured you'd still be tearing apart the unit.

SCOTT
(distracted)
Hmmm? Oh, I already did . . . mostly. (suddenly seems to realize who he's talking to) You'll be glad to know that my modification worked. (grimaces) Of course, it's about the only thing that did.

THAD
(conciliatory)
Okay then . . . what are you doing here?

SCOTT
(stares at Thad)
We can't rebuild it.

THAD
(confused smile)
Why not? We built that one. You even improved part of it.

SCOTT
(gestures toward desk)
We can't. There's not enough money left.

THAD
(laughs)
So? We'll just jack Dad's credit card again.

Scott glares at Thad.

THAD (CONT'D)
(shrugs)
Okay, bad idea.

SCOTT
Very bad idea. (leans back) Damn it.

Thad walks forward and picks up one of the sheets of paper, studies it, and then picks up another one.

THAD
There are a lot of zeroes on some of those.

SCOTT
Too many. (sighs) That's it for the grant money. As for the loans . . . (waves hands, sighs) I suppose we could sell the patents.

THAD
No.

SCOTT
(eyes Thad)
I suppose you could always sell your body.

THAD
(flexes, grinning)
That's the problem with priceless objects. (winks at Scott) No one wants to name a price.

Scott shakes his head, managing a weak smile.

THAD (CONT'D)
What about that new crate of components?

SCOTT
They aren't nearly enough to repair everything. (frowns) If we return them, we should get most of the money back.

THAD
(gently, questioningly)
Bro . . . this isn't like you. Since when are you the one to give up?

SCOTT
When I'm the only one who gives a damn!

Reaction shot of Thad.

Medium reaction of Scott as he realizes what he has just said.

SCOTT (CONT'D)
(quietly)
Thad . . . I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I . . . just . . .

THAD
(understanding)
You did mean it. (faint smile) Well, kind of.

SCOTT
We just keep getting so damned close. Then yesterday . . . and now this. (gestures toward the desk)

THAD
We'll figure it, bro. We always do. (smiles) Without Dad's credit cards, I swear.

Scott manages a small laugh. He leans back in the chair, closing his eyes.

SCOTT
I need a break.

THAD
(grinning)
Yes, you do. (checks clock) Callahan's should be open.

SCOTT
(shakes head)
Not that kind of break.

THAD
(grins playfully)
Ohhh, that kind of break. Hmmm . . . I know just the girl. (pulls out his phone) I think I have her number here . . .

SCOTT
(laughs slightly)
Thad. No. (gets up from the table) I'm going for a walk.

THAD
Alone?

SCOTT
Alone.

THAD
Can I still call her?

SCOTT
(laughs quietly)
As long as it's not Melinda Gerard.

THAD
(genuinely confused)
Who?

SCOTT
Never mind. (smiles, shaking his head) See you in a bit.

Scott heads for the door.

THAD
(calls after Scott)
I think we're out of beer.

Scott pauses and then closes the door behind.

THAD (CONT'D)
(quieter)
Don't get the cheap stuff . . .

FADE TO:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger