Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Pilot": 05-27-08

EXT. PROVIDENCE RESIDENCE – DAY

PROVIDENCE is outside, idly tending to some items in the garden when Devereux and the others walk slowly by. Janusae smiles happily at Providence while the others give her other passing attention.

Providence smiles back at Janusae, eyeing each of the others quickly. She makes no other indication of their presence.

PROVIDENCE
(conversationally, just loud enough to hear)
I have rooms for rent if you need them.

The group pauses, exchanging surprised and uncertain glances. Devereux looks around for a sign to support Providence's statement.

DEVEREUX
We do actually. (softly) How did you know?

PROVIDENCE
(matter-of-factly)
I've been expecting you, of course.

Devereux exchanges a quick, surprised glance with Elizabeth and Hope. Even Hope reacts with mild surprise.

DEVEREUX
(laughs quietly, trying to cover her concern)
Of course you have.

PROVIDENCE
You've come a long distance. (beat) And now you require solitude . . . and privacy. (glances at Hope) No one comes here for whom I do not wish it. You will be safe here.

DEVEREUX
(uncertainly)
I don't know . . .

HOPE
(quietly, but firmly, to Devereux)
Accept the offer.

Devereux turns and looks at Hope in surprise. Hope stares back, but her expression betrays nothing. Elizabeth also looks surprised by Hope's statement.

Providence shows no sign that she heard Hope speak.

DEVEREUX
(to Providence)
You're quite generous.

PROVIDENCE
(smiles, laughs softly)
Nothing worthwhile is without risk.

Devereux looks at Providence, completely uncertain how to respond. She looks at Hope again. Hope seems quite confident in her statement.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
(chuckles softly, comfortingly)
Not too many people roaming the streets at this hour with their bags unless they're coming or going from a place.

DEVEREUX
(smiles with some relief)
How do you know we aren't leaving?

PROVIDENCE
(watches Devereux)
I don't . . . for certain. (smiles) And if I were wrong--and I'm not often am--I'd have done no harm, isn't that so?

DEVEREUX
I suppose not. (beat) Yes, we could use a place to stay. (frowns) I'm not sure how long we'll be staying, though.

PROVIDENCE
Not a problem, dear. Stay as long as you like. As long as you pay your rate, it's fine with me.

Devereux exchanges a look with the others. Providence notices, but does not react.

PROVIDENCE (CONT'D)
I'll take a check--or cash if you have it--but no credit cards, I'm afraid.

DEVEREUX
We'll pay cash then, if you don't mind.

PROVIDENCE
(smiles)
Not at all. (beat) The rate's twenty dollars a day per room.

DEVEREUX
(nods, but uncertain)
Fine. (beat) Can you show us the rooms?

PROVIDENCE
Certainly, dear. (smiles) I wouldn't expect you to take them sight unseen. (eyes the group) I've only got two, I'm afraid. But I can put two beds in each if you'd like. Or keep it at one, if you prefer. Nothing additional either way.

Devereux and Elizabeth look puzzled for a moment. Janusae begins to blush slightly, but manages not to say anything before Devereux responds.

DEVEREUX
That won't be a problem. Two beds each, if possible. If not, we'll manage.

Devereux glances at the others for their reactions. They control them carefully under her gaze.

PROVIDENCE
It won't be a problem, dear. (beat) Would you care to see the rooms now?

DEVEREUX
If you don't mind.

PROVIDENCE
Not at all, dear. Not at all. I was just puttering away in my garden. (beat) This way then. Mind the stairs.

Providence leads them up a flight of stairs to a T-shaped hallway.

CUT TO:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger